Finding A Good Accountant For Your Small Business
Finding a good accountant can be difficult. Are you sitting in front of your computer and you don’t know what the numbers are telling you? Do you not have any numbers at all? It is a good time to find someone that has experience and is knowledgeable.
- You need to make sure that you feel personally comfortable with the accountant, you’re going to have a relationship and a personal relationship is important. You should find someone that answers your questions, someone who listens to you and your needs, someone who is reliable.
- Choose an accountant who specializes in small business issues and has experience representing other companies in your industry. There are certain industries where someone who does not have specific experience in that industry probably would not be the best choice. Experience in certain industries gives somebody a leg up in terms of knowing the nuances of what goes on in that type of business.
FIRM SIZE THAT’S RIGHT FOR YOUR BUSINESS
- A sole proprietor probably should not engage the largest accounting firm in the state to handle tax work. If you’re in a small business, you don’t need a large firm. Try to choose someone who fits the size of your firm.
CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT (CPA)
- There can be a large difference between someone with an accounting degree or accounting experience and someone that is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). CPA’s have much more training in taxation and have met state licensing requirements. An Accountant just means “keeps financial accounts” and the training they have can be varied.
LOOK FOR RECOMMENDATIONS
- Ask other business owners who they have found to handle their small business returns. Ask them what they like and dislike about their current situation. If you are comfortable asking, get a price estimate from them so you know what you’re getting into
USE SOCIAL MEDIA
- These days, almost all businesses have some form of social media presence and accounting is not immune. Check out local accounting firms and see what their websites, Facebook, and LinkedIn pages look like. You can also see reviews that clients have left and get a feel for the firm before scheduling a meeting.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO BE SELECTIVE
- Hiring a CPA or accountant for your small business should not be a casual task, it should be the beginning of a business relationship. If done well, this relationship can last you throughout the life of your business. So, you want to take adequate time to find the right fit. Find an accountant that understands your needs and can meet those needs. Make sure this person is someone you can work with for years to come and can grow with your business.
MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE WILL HELP GROW YOUR BUSINESS
A CPA or accountant is a key team member for your growing business. Choosing the right one will help your business continue to grow by offering sound business advice, support, and planning assistance. If you feel like you’re in a place where you need find an accountant, or maybe you need to re-evaluate your current situation, give us a call and see if we are a good fit for you, (601) 936-9288.